Thursday, September 3, 2009

How Selfish Am I?

Lunch time rolls around for me at work and it is time for me to grab up some grub, get a cold diet coke, and close the door to my office to work on this blog or to read up on the Volunteers for a little while. It's the 30 minutes or so of solitude in an otherwise crazy hectic day for me. So today as I sit down to eat a spicey italian from Subway I am in a football frenzy. It is just 2 days till the Big Orange hit the field and so I journy over to Volquest.com. I click on the message board and there are 900 members online posting and chatting about all things involving the University of Tennessee athletics, but mainly football. As I scroll down the list of articles to see if I want to read one my eyes pass by a short title that I have seen numerous times before and have even posted. I am here to read about football and the Vols, not about life and problems....I try to convince myself to go past the link....don't look back....don't do it. Shame on me!!! You see the headline to the link is simply "PRAYERS NEEDED." Those simple words on an ever-changing bulletin board with 900-1500 people per hour viewing it can have huge implications indeed. As I click on the link, a young man says his 24 year old brother is ill and hospitalized and he doesn't know what to do so he begs for prayers. The doctors cannot determine what is wrong, but he has enough foresight to know who can. God can. Yes dear friends God can use college football message boards to work miracles too. I should know, he helped me. When my mom had heart surgery I was encouraged with over 100 well-wishes and prayers from that very same Volquest board. You see, when it comes right down to it, God focusses us on what is important, even when our carnal nature desires news about football and basketball, God says - "STOP! Someone is hurting." Thank God for opening my eyes and for using whatever means are available to get his word out. And thank God for dragging me kicking and screaming to his people who are hurting even when I am too selfish to do it willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment